View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
BJohnston
United_States
Re: Traditional vs Non Traditional training...questions

Thank you all for your replies.

Quote:
Well, it is what it is. If a 45 minute commute is challenging to you, there's nothing more to be said about it.

lbb
It's not a huge challenge. I guess my point is that if I had the option to train at a dojo of equal quality closer to home it would be nice. I've got a family and I own my own business so every minute is valuable to me. With that being said I'm completely committed to training and will continue to make time to do so.

Quote:
If Mary doesn't want to give you the "20 miles, through the snow, uphill, both ways" lecture, I will

My commute to the dojo takes 1.5 hrs one way. Recently, getting back home means more like 2 hrs, courtesy of our ailing Metro. And I still make it to the training on average 5 times a week.

On the other hand, before I signed up, I though it was too far away. And even for a while after I signed up, I thought I'd only be going once a week.

So my advice to you is, if you really like that dojo, stick with it for a while, despite the commute. Maybe after some time the commute will stop being a problem

Karo
That's very inspiring for me to hear. When I was looking for dojos I thought that I'd be happy with whatever I could find. I'm realizing that dojos like the one I'm a member of aren't as common as I thought.
I want learn the more traditional way. I think it helps me understand the true intent and purpose of the art.

B