Thread: Take Down.
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2003, 09:32 AM   #15
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
Paul,

I train in Rickson Gracie's organization under Rodrigo Vaghi and David Arnebeck.

I would disagree with you on the rule thing. I have taken more experienced BJJ people with things like kyusho points and skin grabs, these are not taught in BJJ, and are not considered proper. Plus, being an Aikidoka, and wanting to play in my arena...I'm a bitch to get to the ground in the first place.

I'm not saying that BJJ is ineffective, not as good as Aikido, or anything like that. What I am saying is that BJJ is making a definite move in the general public to a sport. I think this is probably by design to bring it to a larger audience. To me, Vale Tudo and no holds barred is like a bar fight...still a sport. I.E.:

Two guys square off in the Octagon (substitute your favorite pub for octagon)

Only one can walk away.

Order today on pay per view! (substitute: 3 drink minimum for ordering on pay per view)

Your Aikido may have rules, mine has only my character, morals, and experience to guide it. Not that it's a bad thing to train and think how you do. I have no right to judge how you train and think. Just my opinions on how I train Budo.

All the Best.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos