View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #34
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Taiji Motion study

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
... You need lessons. ...
I do what I do, I see what I see, I know what I know, and I express what I express. I make a living being told I am not only wrong, but embarassingly wrong about fifty times a week, so get in line, but somehow, despite all the wasted rhetoric, at the end of the day, it doesn't usually turn out that way, or I wouldn't stay in the fray in the first place.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
You think Chinese and Japanese would cavil over the terms, in the practical sense? Really?
Yes, really, and rather deeply. Since at least the mid-nineteenth century. Read Kojiki-Den, and any number of other Kokugaku writers from Norinaga, Atsutane etc. That text in particular has some importance to the Aikido side of the table, and has issues that need to be reconciled in light of their scholarship (and its influence, which are not always the same thing).

Seems the Taiji figure in the second backbow illustration of the dynamic underwent a 180 degree rotation. What would one use to describe that dynamic in terms of the physics --- hmmm? Too bad we don't have a Western name for mass undergoing rotations or cyclic displacements or a tendency to do so... really too bad --- Oh wait, silly me, we do -- angular momentum and moments ...

And as to the first, it is a moment diagram -- upper lateral rightward moment received by taking up momentum in the spine torque (stored moment) and thus right/down rotation tendency at the top, equal left/up rotation at the bottom and dispose the undercarriage to let the left/upward rotation resolve through the arm receiving the input push -- the same 180 degree rotation of effective moment as the Taiji illustrated in the second diagram.

Got more?

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.