View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 02:19 AM   #69
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom
Re: A Consideration of Aikido Practice within the Context of Internal Training

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
Yes, it does. All structures do. And yes, I do have a reference -- some are scholarly the other is empirical. Much of the research I have gathered on the issues of vibration, inverted pendulum stability, neuromuscular aspects of reflexes, fascial smooth-muscle-like action, and the relation of oxytocin modulation to the above -- I have made available on Google Docs for those who are interested in looking at it.
Thanks, Erick - plenty of interesting material to read! I shall work through your references.

I'm still not convinced that a dynamic, responsive system full of assorted neuromuscular reflexes, and which is under some degree of conscious or otherwise control, can be described in terms of a fundamental mechanical resonance. To take this to logical extremes, an inert, unconscious body will behave quite differently to a mechanical stimulus than a trained, fit and alert one.

I do find what you say about the response of the joints to stimulus fascinating. This chimes well with certain things I am working on at the moment.

Alex