View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 05:10 AM   #3
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Shoshin Aikido Dojo Slammed by Hurricane Charlie

Quote:
AikiWeb System wrote:
At 9:40PM Friday August 13 the eye of hurricane Charley slammed into Shoshin Aikido Dojo in Orlando Florida. Winds gusting over 110 miles an hour knocked down dozens of trees, smashed roofs and decimated the grounds around the dojo. Trees crashed onto the roof of the home of Linden Sensei and into the dojo itself. -

I'd like to thank all who have e-mailed and called their concern. We are all okay. Saturday morning Hooker Sensei arrived to help with the clean-up and over the last 4 days we have had as many as a dozen students and friends working to dig us out. Again, we are all okay and we hope to have the dojo dry and secure in a few weeks. We will resume class as soon as possible. -

One interesting note. Despite all the destruction and chaos the shrine to O'Sensei that sits in the center of the garden was not damaged in the slightest. I should however mention that a 50 foot tall tree snapped directly over it and is now currently hanging in the crook above it. As far as the dojo is concerned it will stay there and pay homage to a power greater than ourselves. -

Pictures will be posted to the web site as soon as possible.
Regards and warm thoughts to Dan Sensei and all his students. I am so sorry to hear about the damage but am glad that all my friends there are ok. Looking at the maps on the news it was hard to tell which of my Florida friends would have been effected. Hope things get straightened out quickly.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com