View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Crosstraining Aikidoka: A Survey

Quote:
Jamie D. Ducusin wrote: View Post
I did a forum search and as I didn't see anything recent that was similar (at least in its scope), I'm hoping that any Aikidoka out there who are currently cross training in other martial arts could be so kind as to take the time to answer a few questions for me - I'd really like to get a sense of what people are doing, how and why:

1) How long have you been practicing Aikido?
About 20 years current

Quote:
2) What is/are the name(s) of the other art(s) you are currently practicing?
MMA ( a mixture of striking,grappling BJJ) with various teachers... Iaido

Quote:
3) How long have you been practicing the other art(s) concurrent with your training in Aikido?
About 20 years Iaido and 15 years MMA

Quote:
4) What ratio of time do you devote to each art (ie. how many days a week are spent practicing Aikido, how many days in the other art(s)?)
Aikido & Iaido between 7 and 20 hours a week MMA about 3 to 4 hours

Quote:
5) Is the focus/goal of your cross training:
a) to complement your practice of Aikido
b) to broaden your knowledge/overall skill as a martial artist in general
or
c) other (if so, what?)
a) Yes
b) Yes
c) Because it's fun I love MMA both watching and practicing. I am hoping to find a Systema School near me.

Quote:
6) If you believe that the current art(s) you are cross training in is/are benefiting or complementing your practice of Aikido, could you please describe how?
Nothing builds a more competent Aikido practice than getting smacked/kicked in the face or being forced to tap out. Why? Well Most Aikido Dojos I've seen have beginners who have no prior Martial Arts experience and they need to see and feel what a fight may "look like" including me... They also need to feel punches and kicks...Just my Opinion...Getting smacked in the face and still being able to execute a technique is a sign of competence not failure. And being able to execute a technique when faced with a competent Martial Artist while remaining true to the spirit of Aikido...That's Mastery.

Quote:
7) Can you think of any ways that your current cross training may actually be detrimental to your practice of Aikido and if so, please describe how.
We're encouraged to cross train in our style of Aikido so... No...That's one of the things I love about Shoji Nishio's Philosophy of Aikido... Aikido has to work as a Martial Art and unless you adapt and test it... It will atrophy and die.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for your time!
You're Welcome
William Hazen