Thread: Reversals
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #21
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Re: Reversals

We have some fluid continuous-reversals drills that are really good for learning the "feel" of ikkyo or sankyo, as well as the weak points in one's technique. I find this very valuable even as a junior student; I certainly see no need to wait till dan rank.

I have also had some vivid and wonderful learning experiences from reversals that occured spontaneously in pair practice, when both partners were comfortable with the techniques and happy to experiment. (It's unfair to do kaeshi waza with someone who is struggling with technique, and unwise to do it with someone who is aiming to "win.") In particular, a partner in a dojo where I was visiting opened my eyes to the whole idea that it's not over when you fall--if you retain connection you may still have many interesting options. She threw me; I held onto her and managed to unbalance her into a forward roll over my body; she in turn held onto me and used the mometum of her roll to turn me over on the mat and pin me. One lovely continuous movement. We were both laughing our heads off at the end. This is the sort of thing that keeps me motivated in my training--the growing ability to "play with the big boys/girls."

Self-defense aside (I'm glad to know it but hope never to need it) one of the great attractions, for me, of skill at aikido is just to be able to do this--to enjoy the rapid give-and-take of high level practice. The yudansha just look like they are having so much fun! That's what I've wanted from day one, and what keeps me coming back to class.

Mary Kaye