View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #241
GeneC
United_States
Re: The continued Evolution of Aikido

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
....I think I explained that, in overkill. I think everyone else laid it out pretty darn clearly too.
I haven't heard anything that would qualify as evolutionary or revolutionary and I just went back and re-read the entire thread.

Fact is Osensei continued to evolve Aikido his whole life, that's why there's different styles, because of his different students at the different points in his life were exposed to that evolution. How did he do that? By competing. He improved on techniques that didn't work in combat. That is evolution. I said before, that evolution involved all aspects, top to bottom, inside out. That includes going mainstream, which is happening as we speak (right here in Las Vegas, there's 3 Dojos- 2 are in strip malls and are actually Karate schools and they rent the space to hold Aikido practice, that includes separate kids classes and then one in a local rec center).
Evolving also involves improving Aikido techniques or training by competing . Imo, for example, to intercept an attack with an attack, instead acting in defense would be an improvement.

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman