Thread: 6th kyu forever
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #38
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: 6th kyu forever

Quote:
Clare Din wrote: View Post
At this point, I'm not worried about whether or not they'll recognize my old rank. I'm willing to start again the right way.
Fair enough then.

Quote:
The reason why I'm staying for the moment is to finish up the month (or two) depending on this contract. Apparently, I have to give 30 days notice to cancel my membership at this dojo.
That sounds like a racket to me.

Quote:
He knows I can do all the 5th kyu techniques, but his techniques are not the way Sensei teaches them. For example, in Shomenuchi Ikkyo Ura, you normally spiral uke around and end up kneeling next to uke. Sensei wants us to finish standing up with both feet against uke and extending our arms down to pin uke's arm (so we're kind of bent and standing over uke's arm). This is a new "feature" Sensei just asked me to do after months of getting me to spiral uke down to the ground.
Don't stress about different people teaching different variations. I can do a whole bunch of different shomenucni ikkyo uras, some end up standing, some end up kneeling, some take subtly different directions, some begin with different entries. Yes, the syllabus only includes one, but that doesn't mean the others are wrong.

Quote:
Remember I said "once I pass" in my statement. I didn't say I was going to pass. You would assume that given 30 days more time, I should, but there are never any guarantees. I should've said "if I pass."
Oh, if you stay long enough, you WILL pass. I had assumed you were going to stay there until you did.