Thread: 6th kyu forever
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #37
Clare Din
United_States
Re: 6th kyu forever

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
If you are thinking about moving, then you might want to check with the other dojo about whether they would recognise your old rank. If not, there is not a lot of point grading in a style that you are about to leave anyway. You might as well just leave now.
At this point, I'm not worried about whether or not they'll recognize my old rank. I'm willing to start again the right way.

The reason why I'm staying for the moment is to finish up the month (or two) depending on this contract. Apparently, I have to give 30 days notice to cancel my membership at this dojo. I still have a favorite teacher I'd like to learn from at this dojo. It's a shame he only teaches on one night. In his class, I do very well. He knows I can do all the 5th kyu techniques, but his techniques are not the way Sensei teaches them. For example, in Shomenuchi Ikkyo Ura, you normally spiral uke around and end up kneeling next to uke. Sensei wants us to finish standing up with both feet against uke and extending our arms down to pin uke's arm (so we're kind of bent and standing over uke's arm). This is a new "feature" Sensei just asked me to do after months of getting me to spiral uke down to the ground.

Remember I said "once I pass" in my statement. I didn't say I was going to pass. You would assume that given 30 days more time, I should, but there are never any guarantees. I should've said "if I pass."

I have this one friend in class who is unranked at the moment. I see a lot of me in the very beginning in him so I do see that I have progressed a bit. He was having trouble with the techniques so I broke down the technique we were practicing into a step-by-step recipe and we talked through each step. That made the experience a lot more fun. We did it again yesterday. Sensei was watching us and he wasn't making any corrections, so we knew we were onto something.

YOGAIKI girl - yoga and aikido!