View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #25
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: How do i know when i can feel KI?

Quote:
John Hillson wrote: View Post
If your mind is on something else instead of your movement, then it's not coordinating with your movement - much as a debate on the nature of fire does not cook my lunch.

It's just "Mind and Body working together can do more." Tohei's original work was on Mind and Body Coordinated, which is not so magical sounding.

Unbendable arm is a use of imagery. In seeing yourself touching the wall behind your partner you are developing a mindset helpful in striking through a target, and it is a way to trick your body into relaxing muscles antagonistic to the motion - you have roughly four times as many muscles and ligaments as you do bones, and most are not consciously controlled by you or anyone naturally, but many can be, and usually indirectly.

If you are an athlete already, or a dancer, or have a focused mind and good structure, then you may never feel anything new, you would just have some new engrams to work on.
Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
I don't think you can ever feel Ki flowing from you or into you but it is possible to feel its expression. The power of action through technique rather than muscle. Get to that point and you will feel Ki.
Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote:
in the aikido context, it can be a useful shorthand for describing a variety of physical phenomena having to do with attention, body structure, and mental focus.
Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote:
I decided to just feel centered instead of trying to keep my balance the old way; trying to grip the mat with my toes. And lo and behold: I easily kept my balance even though Sensei pushed vigorously.
Christian - I'm not sure if you're still following this thread. I hope so because there's some pretty good stuff being posted here, a representative few of which I have noted above.

A common theme is that Ki is a result of proper integration of body and mind that produces performance in diverse activities, Aikido which is but one example, that is demonstrably superior to performance without that same level of integration.

Tohei was of the school that asserted that this mind/body coordination is present in all of us to greater and lesser degrees and that it can be trained and strengthened via a whole slew of exercises and tests. Other teachers have since added to his original Ki syllabus so that today there are a large number of exercises designed to facilitate coordination of mind and body.

The answer to your question about what Ki actually feels like can be easily demonstrated to you at any dojo where mind/body coordination exercises are practiced in a matter of minutes. Once you feel mind/body coordination and learn to apply it to your Aikido you will begin to appreciate all that the study of Aikido has to offer.

Good luck with your training.

Ron