Thread: Judo and IP/IS
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #37
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Judo and IP/IS

Quote:
Tim Jester wrote: View Post
Thanks for the info Joe. Tomiki Aikido was developed for Judo players. It follows those principals. Although the techniques are different looking, a principal is a principal and you have to understand what is happening in terms of off balance etc.

For instance, take Kote Gaeshi and Osoto Gari. They look totally different but they really aren't. You can get Uke in the same position with either technique. It's the off balance that puts uke in a certain position. That's how I see it.

I have a book from 1957 that Kenji Tomiki wrote entitled Judo and Aikido. Chapter 4 is titled "Explaination of Aikido Techniques According to the Principals of Judo".

They are very similar you just have to look at it from another angle.

-
Dear Tim,
Its quite a jump to connect a leg throw [o soto gari] with Kote Gaeshi [a te waza] .O Sotogari throws the man to his rear.Kote gaeshi rarely does this.Only thing in common between the two is the kuzushi[balance breaking ].You need to unbalance[mentally /physically] your partner before execution of any waza, be it against an opponent doing judo /aikido /sumo/pub brawls.
Tomiki Sensei being primarily a judoka [and competitive minded] would as expected would look at aikido from a judo perspective.
The book you mention came out at the same time as a quaint book by Bruce Tegner.This one was good for a laugh as was his Judo /Self Defence book.This self defence tome included defences against rabid dogs , oriental gents armed with axes etc.
I have a copy of this, offers over a thousand dollars only will be considered. Cheers, Joe.