View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 08:12 AM   #6
paw
Re: Training and Learning

Casey,

Quote:
Casey Martinson wrote:
I think tai chi as it is taught almost universally in the West, and probably more than not in the East, does not live up to it's title of "grand ultimate boxing." But it does have a history as a combat art, and I think there probably were some practitioners who were quite formidable.
Presuming that was or is true, I'm confident that their training methodology was/is drastically different from the training methodology of what most of us would identify as tai chi.

Quote:
Casey Martinson wrote:
What are your chances of being attacked by somebody who really wants to inflict serious harm or death?
Crimes of passion and domestic abuse quickly come to mind. Those crimes are not bound to a specific socio-economic background, as far as I know. They might be more likely to occur in a specific socio-economic background or geographic location, but it certainly can happen to anyone, yes?

Quote:
Casey Martinson wrote:
Any hand to hand combat situation the average citizen is likely to face can probably be well survived by the an aikidoka--or any other martial artist--with a year or two of real training.
That's a big generalization and one I wouldn't hold to. There are simply too many variables to make such a statement, imo.

Quote:
Casey Martinson wrote:
There is one situation that most of us face every day that truly can be dangerous, and that's driving the car. ... Aikido teaches awareness of ones surroundings, timing and distance, and an ability to go with the flow. All these things equal great self defense on the road.
You're using aikido principles as a metaphor for good driving habits. While that may be well and good, aikido is trained with surroundings, timing, distance, flow as an interaction between people. You'd be better off (ie it's more effective) to take a driving class that focuses on surroundings, timing, distance and flow between other motor vehicles on the road if being a safe motorist was one's goal.

Beau,

Quote:
Beau Biller wrote:
What esle can effectiveness be in the martial arts. They were created for a purpose. Granted, they may have underlying philosophical properties that differ, but they were all created with the pupose of making people more effecient fighters.
Given that definition, it's clear to me that some arts are far better at producing fighters than others, both in the ring and out of it. You may, of course, disagree with that.

Quote:
Beau Biller wrote:
So, nothing against sparring, its just been difficult to find a way to do it without having two nages smashing each other with atemi
Tomiki and Yoseikan have competion and presumably, some manner of sparring. It seems that there's a way to do it, if someone wants to persue that as a training methodology.