View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Jan Childress vs. Timothy Hwang

This video came up in another thread, but I have been totally obsessing over it so I decided to put it in its own thread and let other people obsess with me.

http://youtu.be/InDLB1-o9mI

Seems to me Childress is totally owned in this contents. The notes say he has just gone up a weight class, so props to him for that, and he stays on his feet, which is a feat in itself. But, IMHO, he's totally outclassed by Hwang and for reasons that I think a bunch of people around here may recognize.

Things that stand out for me:

1:13 - Childress continually returns to this Judo-like position of hanging on his opponent--maybe okay if you're thinking 4-legged animal, but Hwang never does this -- he's always, as he is here, dead upright.

0:39 - Hwang a couple of times absorbs Childress' push with his upper body without ever losing his balance backwards--even when, as here, he has to hop a step backwards Childress can't follow up on it.

3:06 -- Look at how Hwang moves here--mostly you can't see it, but at this point he's moving directly away from the camera and you can see how he stays rooted with a bowed lower body.

3:22 - And just for fun, look at this. The first push, you can see how he uses his whole body as a whip--the second push, it's easy to miss because he hardly seems to move, but Childress goes flying.

Seriously cool stuff, IMO. What do 'yall see?