View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Is Ukemi Destroying our bodies?

Quote:
Alex Melillo wrote: View Post
So is it just through experience and practice that your Ukemi begins to become more fluid and graceful? I've been doing Aikido for about 6 months and went through a lot of painful stuff with my back when I first started but now I feel really good. I also don't get as dizzy coming out of forward and backward ukemi during warm ups when we roll across the floor. But I also know that I am hardly graceful or quiet when I do ukemi and I think that from when I my back hurt for 4 months that I am now just naturally tight. I watch my senpai role and she is incredibly graceful when she performs kohoukemi and zenpoukemi. How can I break out of the tenseness I feel so I don't continue to hurt myself during falls and become more graceful on the mat?

Oh and question about the knees. I already have a torn meniscus repair on my left knee and it does hurt a bit during shiko work or even sitting seza. I can hardly stand up after sitting for a long time. Does anyone else feel discomfort with shiko?
Sore knees ?Discomfort is not the word!! How about agony?
I tore my meniscus in an accident and I can hardly kneel to tie my shoelaces.If you want to end up with plastic knee caps after knee ops, just do tons of kneework. You must have a strong desire to punish yourself.The fact that you can hardly stand up after sitting is your body telling its being stressed out.Common sense seems to be in short supply in some cases.I have seen guys doing 8ft Bunny Hops up and down a tatami. Bet that is good for the joints!!