Thread: pressure points
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2000, 08:49 AM   #2
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
Before studying aikido, I studied Ryukyu Kempo for 8 years. It was a hard, vicious style. This form of Kempo has three main components. Twite-jitsu (joint locks), Bunkai (breakdown of kata), and Kyusho-jitsu (nerve strikes). I believe it has aided my atemi-waza. The only problem is that even though I earned my Nidan, I could still only get the reaction I wanted about 50% of the time. It is not easy.

In many cases in aikido we use nerve manipulation as part of the art. Yonkyo is technically kyusho-jitsu. When we practice iriminage, we often use carotid pressure to "pin" uke's head to our chest while performing tenkan.

I think the longer you practice aikido the more the use of these techniques becomes evident. The thing is, the use of kyusho-jitsu in aikido should be an after thought to learning the technique and applying ki correctly.

It should not be used as a short-cut to force techniques to work. This would be contradictory to the entire idea of blending completely, and losing one's self and ego, that is so important to aikido.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos