View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #33
genin
United_States
Re: The Truth about Violence

I would say it's self-evident that you are in a dangerous and abusive situation if you are with someone who is physically violent toward you. To dispute that would be a sign of denial or ignorance. It may very well be the case that the person feels helpless to extricate themselves from that situation, which I agree may be a difficult thing to do. That's not to say I wouldn't have empathy for such a person, or that they should be "judged" for not handling the situation appropriately.

If you are being victimized in a domestic violence situation, then the reason this is occuring is not because you are bad at self-defense. It's because you have allowed yourself to continue to be in the war path of an abuser. Step off the path, and the abuser will pass right by you. Easier said than done, I know. But the point is that in this type of scenario, there is a clear reason why you are a victim of violence. That's all I wanted to point out. Whether or not the person is justified for being in that situation or whether "we" should have compassion for them is not relevant as it pertains to handling violent situations.