View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 04:47 PM   #31
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: How to teach and train relaxation

Quote:
Adam Bauder wrote:
Chris, that didn't come off snide. No worries. Actually, I don't make a distinction. Sorry, I plead guilty to a hastily written reply, that was taking into account only part of your previous comment. My distinction is between "dead" and "complete/live/total". Of course, if someone tells me to relax, I can usually assume they're not telling me to collapse and take a nap.
I'm pretty familiar with that paradigm, my first Aikido school was founded by Kurita Minouru, who left the Aikikai with Tohei Sensei and then decided to go it alone. We still used a lot of the teaching methodologies and principles from the Ki Society however. My problem with the "Relax Completely" phrase is that it's misleading. Often people are indeed too tense, but a certain ammount of tension is needed to perform any technique. Personally I'm much more of a fan of, "relax correctly." That phrase carries the implication that there is more to know, and that the correct movements are not based solely on relaxation, but that it does play a very real part in the process. (pet peeve...)

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu