View Single Post
Old 01-26-2003, 05:50 AM   #28
mike lee
Quote:
As far as training goes - the dojo is a very apt name because it produces a controlled environment in which you can express underlying spiritual thoughts which would otherwise just be armchair philosophy.
Amen. The proof is in the pudding. And every day I thank God for producing a man that developed a martial art like aikido, where we can learn to express some of the highest spiritual principles in physical movements — martial arts no less! When I sit down and think about it, I feel it's truly amazing! I often feel like he did it all just for me! (A bit selfish, I know.)

Sometimes we take aikido for granted, but I think that it's always important to remember on whose shoulders we stand. We must always be thankful to the man that worked so hard all his life to prepare this gift of aikido, and then gave it to the whole world to enjoy. How many countless hours have we all delighted in practicing this art!

Sorry for getting preachy, but my fear is that the younger generation may begin to take aikido, and the man that gave us this great art, for granted. When that happens, aikido will then gradually be reduced to just another martial art — just another way to bring our enemies into submission. I pray that such a day never comes.

Whenever we have a training hall for learning the Way and someone willing to teach, we should always be very grateful, because such things are truly a gift.

Last edited by mike lee : 01-26-2003 at 05:53 AM.