View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 AM   #68
Timothy WK
United_States
Re: Connecting with "Hara"

Erick, once again---you really, really, REALLY NEED to just go out and feel/observe what Mike S, Dan H, Akuzawa, etc, are doing first hand, in person. You're basing your analysis on assumptions that simply aren't true, or neglect specific body mechanics that are required to make the effects you describe happen.

I can do the wrist-thing Mike is doing in the video... not nearly as well, but can I do it... and at its most basic level (which is where I'm at), it has nothing to do with the ground (though at Mike's level, he's able to bring the ground into play). It's about "connecting" the tendons, ligaments, etc in the hand and arm, such that when torque is applied to the wrist, the pressure spreads not only to the forearms, but all the way up the arm and into the body---and not in some subtle half-imagined way, but in a real, obvious way. And I'm not talking about locking out the joints and twisting the body. 99% of people, if they are honest with themselves, have to admit they can't feel the torque/pressure beyond their elbows in any real (unsubtle) way.

--Timothy Kleinert