View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 07:30 AM   #79
DH
United_States
Re: Dan, Mike, and Aikido

Ikeda Sensei prefaced the talk by explaining why he invited Ushiro Sensei to be an instructor this year. He said that aikido will stagnate if it is not open to many different points of view, and that Ushiro Sensei's approach to karate provides a valuable approach to the study of aikido. .....
Mr. Pranin pointed out that O Sensei studied other arts, as has Saotome Sensei, and suggested that students of aikido who avoid exposure to other arts are missing an important opportunity.

Interesting title of one of Ushiro's book. The Foundations of Budo and Knowledge and Practice of Karate as Bujutsu.

Ikeda states in the Japanese magazine "Do"

"The kind of power through kokyu that Ushiro sensei has been teaching is completely different from what is usually thought of as kokyu. All of the people who came to this camp experienced this. It may have been only an introduction to this kind of practice and this kind of power, but I think it was a real plus for people to be able to experience it.
As a teacher, one of the most important considerations is how we are bringing up new people in the art, both now and into the future. There will be no growth if we just repeat what is currently being done.
For ourselves and for the Aikido of the future, it is necessary to completely change the way aikido is practiced. I think we have come to this critical crossroads."

I found these worthy of note
1. "..There will be no growth if we just repeat what is currently being done. ....
2. "...For ourselves and for the Aikido of the future it is necessary to completely change the way aikido is practiced....

I've said it before "The picture of Ikeda at the Aiki expo putting on a white belt and taking a Systema class should accord him the deepest respect."

When I join these with others in Aikido looking outward it seems, that to say "Aikido needs nothing more." or, "Only those IN Aikido, can help Aikido." is a loosing proposition.
Cheers
Dan