View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 06:53 AM   #39
tenshinaikidoka

Dojo: Aikido Of Benton County Richland, Wa.
United_States
Re: independent dojo/switching affiliations

Maybe what I typed was not put right. Rank is not an issue with me, and it should not be an issue for anyone, really. But, honestly, I could care less if a Shihan doesn't take me seriously because I am not a godan, or higher. I am not here to impress a shihan. I want to train and gain as muchknowledge as possible. Now, my main point was when doing something as an independant, you train and do things on your own. When you are part of the Aikikai or another org. chances are you have a shihan that you train under. The only difference between the two (in theory) is that once and a while, the shihan will train with you and possibly test/issue rank etc. But in both cases your probably teaching and doing things on your own, one just doesn't have the shihan or affiliated recognition.

Honestly, when I go to seminars or other schools, I wear my white belt. If someone asks what rank I am, I tell them and if they should tell me that I should represent my rank by wearing it/hakama etc, then I will. But I respect the enviornments I am in and also that my rank is not recognized by all orginazations.

Now that I have randomly covered the spectrum!!!! HAHAHA!!