View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #1211
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
It *is* true that what *I* am doing internally when *I* practice the *very little bit* of silk reeling that I know is *very easily applied* to several kata from my ryuha. I however am not in a position to offer that as an example as I am simply not skilled enough at silk reeling to say.
Just to put it out there, I think there's a difference in how *Silk Reeling* is being defined here by the both of you.

Chris is basing it on the movements and instruction he recieved from Andy Dale. When meshed with the internal manipulation hes working on now hes found it to have direct application to the sword work hes doing in his ryuha. (Which is I think definitely valid)

Mike is saying that Silk Reeling is the direct manipulation of the jin in a specific manner and that the movement is a result.

Looking at it in that aspect I'd define it as what was learned in the Silk Reeling "Exercise" as opposed to understanding Silk Reeling "Skill," if that makes any sense.

Stating that, maybe we can restart the conversation.

And as for silk reeling in Japanese swordsmanship...my personal guess is that "pulling" silk skill was more prominent.
It makes sense anyways. -> Anyone else also feel free to comment on this.

Arks mentioned several times that empty handed/Toshu(free hands) bodyskill probably becomes much more complex than the skill required for weapons work.
Btw let me clarify it since that definitely could be taken the wrong way.
While the requirements to use a weapon are extremely kibishii(unforgiving/exacting), the exact bodyskill developed and used on the side without a weapon probably becomes more complex than the skill developed and used with a weapon.
Hence my guess that maybe "silk reeling skill" wasnt featured too prominently in japanese weapons work, if at all and that pulling silk is more likely.

(Btw I'm defining pulling silk as a more linear useage of Jin than Reeling silk)

Oh.
And my teacher is the bestest and can smash all y'all with his pinkie Nyah!

(when he's on the turkey .... powah! )