View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
nerez3
Re: Training TKD/Karate while taking aikido?

Sadly the "legitimacy" you described is apparent in most dojo's around my area. Usually most of the dojo's have "striped belt systems", are mainly focused around their "little dragons" ages 3-5 program, and teach the actual art in a very limited way. I do aikido because there is no "sideline" programs that I have to deal with, just learning the pure art without screaming 4 year old black belts. The problem is most of the karate and TKD schools are focused around the whole "mcdojo" economic logic,not to say that that discredits the owner's knowledge of his own art, it just dulls the feel that you are actually learning something when 90% of the dojo is focused around teaching little kids as a form of babysitting. I almost cried when I saw a nat geo documentary of a japanese karate dojo, and their training and conditioning methods. Fact is you would get nothing close to that in America because the general martial art business has shifted from pleasing the customer instead of actually teaching them something