View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #16
Chris Knight
England
Re: Confused... Uke Ready to Jump?

Quote:
Well, since it is a beginners' class, presumably they are demonstrating what they want you to do and the way that they want you to do it. That being the case, the reason why they're not demonstrating "full on explosive aikido" is that the result would be many bloody noses, and yours would most likely be one of them.
Quote:
This makes me think of a new student who came to our dojo recently. After his first class he was full of questions about when he would get to do the "realistic stuff". The shidoin who was teaching that class gave the explanation, which boiled down to, "When you're ready for it." The next night, after his second class, he asked the head instructor what he could do to progress faster and achieve mastery more quickly.

"You start by coming to your third class," Sensei said.

New guy hasn't been seen since.

It's all well to debate the "unrealistic" nature of aikido practice, but to paraphrase Jack Nicholson, when you're a newbie you can't handle the reality, and if you're not willing to develop the skills to do so, I guess it's better to know that sooner rather than later.
Mary, i am quite aware of the reason that i haven't seen full blown aikido in our class and am under no illusion it can take years and years to progres, that wasn't the question.. my question was why are top level aikidoka's i.e. O Sensei Ukes on youtube with their own Uke not even shown to be receiving any kind of relevant attacks, which has been clearly answered by the people above who didnt seem to take offence to the question...

i am the last person to believe this is an art to be mastered within 3 classes