View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 06:51 PM   #215
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
I use aikido principles all the time in NHB training and fighting. Even some techniques. But to define one's self by a "style" or technique, especially if it is a "DO" is really pointless.

Those that say it does not work do not understand the spectrum (breadth and depth) of the art, equally, I believe you will also find that most do not also understand NHB type fighting as well.

Makes for good conversation, but I always wonder if people are sincerely looking to explore the art or simply looking for an argument to apease their ego.
Oddly enough, I was surfing rec.martial-arts and stumbled on a thread where some BJJ/Shoot/Grappler types who cross-train in Aikido, or who have done an Aikido, offer an appraisal that's not all bad. They're not necessarily happy with the cooperative nature of thr training (which IMHO is a bit like saying the Yankees coulda beat the Red Sox if they'd just go a field goal kick in, but I digress), but they seem to like how well the techiques can work, paritcularly on those who don't train for them. Here is the link to google's archive of that thread (I hope):

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...df0d8257c9d59f

Nice to have some endorsement!

Mike