View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Martial, spiritual, and jujutsu (split off from Funakogi Thread)

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote:
Personally, I think that if we define "aikido" as the way of aiki and we define aiki as the definable body quality exemplified by Takeda, Ueshiba, ....
Saying that a particular body quality is aiki because you trained with someone who has that particular body quality and you were impressed doesn't get us anywhere. Likewise, it is an error in reasoning to say people with this body quality can do #1-6; this body quality is aiki; therefore, lack of ability to do #1-6 shows that a person doesn't know anything about aiki.

You fully accept that aiki is "the secret to the martial arts," and this body quality is aiki.

Your definition of aiki may very well be correct, but you must still prove your argument.

In fact, you didn't define the "definable body quality," which you suggest is the definition of aiki.

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote:
Do I expect people who haven't had this kind of experience to understand what I'm talking about? No.
On some level you recognize the lack of effectiveness of your argument. But I'm not sure we should just chalk it up to ‘people don't know what they don't know.' If this body quality is aiki, define it, and explain why it is aiki. Then show why aiki is the secret to the martial arts.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki