View Single Post
Old 03-13-2002, 01:40 AM   #9
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I like to take one of those cloth balls you can get in the toy store that will say things when dropped or have an impact with something, and play catch. The point of the exercise is to blend with the throw, catch the ball without it making a noise and re-throw it all without stopping your motion. The better you get the harder the throw.

Sometimes we'll play ukemi tag. It's basically just tag but the only way you're allowed to move is forward/backward rolling and shikko. It's really a pretty good workout.

My first instructor also used to do "the washing machine". We would all stand in a tight circle, one person would stand in the middle with hands together at their chest with elbows tucked in tight. The rest would then begin to push and spin the person in the circle. It really did help to teach awareness of center and to keep your shoulders over your hips.

While my students are doing backwards rolls I'll stand at the other end of the room and hold up fingers. I then ask one of them how many fingers I was holding up. I'm trying to get them to pay attention to there surroundings even while rolling.

One I've started doing lately is "blind" randori. Nage stands with eyes closed and the uke attack slowly with grabs only. It forces nage to feel the direction of the "attack" without getting all wrapped up in what they see or think they see.

There are some really good training aid ideas in C.M. Shifflett's book "Aikido exercises for teaching and training"

Fun thread, thanks
Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."