View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #76
JW

Re: "resisting" a push part 2

Chris, I wouldn't have been so verbose if I wanted to be antagonistic and close the door to discussion. And if by "I get it" you mean to imply that my intention was to be so, then you are putting words in my mouth, which I don't like any more than you do.

Personally I like and appreciate the lack of agreement between people - it's healthy and it means we have to watch out about talking nonsense, and try to be clear and reasonable. My point was not to put up a wall, I was saying that in this particular argument (defining precise body mechanisms involved) I see a problematic roadblock, that's all.

Apart from this particular "body mechanism" topic, I think your voice is one of the most important because you ask what is the "so what" of it. Like when you copied Ark's video with your own. My opinion: while mechanistic talk is a little premature, talk about what are the advantages of internal vs atheleticism is not-- in fact it is underdone. But that isn't going to get pushed as aggressively without people like you.

Quote:
Mert Gambito wrote: View Post
(Dan has repeatedly publicly cited the psoas, for example).
Actually this is a good example of one of the things I was talking about. People usually think "using the psoas" means flexing them and therefore causing the joints spanned by those muscles to flex. It's conventional, but if there is another strategy for using the body, then that may not be what someone means when they mention the psoas. For instance, if "ki development" leads to the hyperdevelopment of some large-scale tensile structure through the body, which includes the psoas, then "using the psoas" may mean something like learning to harness the utility of the tensile strength of those muscles (and the tissue connected to them) when they are in a fairly relaxed rather than flexed state.

Quote:
Mert Gambito wrote: View Post
If adjustments in his body are happening, they are virtually autonomic; and even then you can't sense or see muscles firing.
I'm excited about hypothesizing but we should be clear when we are doing it. The fact is we don't understand what the role of the ANS is here, if any. I have fun hypotheses too, like the idea that some of this training may make motor behavior more controlled by the cerbellum, which would NOT feel conscious to us, instead of the cortex, the traditional seat of volitional motor behavior. But, this is all just fun possibilities rather than explaining to someone unequivocally what is happening.

Last edited by JW : 02-03-2013 at 12:30 PM.