Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States
Re: "resisting" a push part 2

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Hey Hunter,

Are you describing a 'feeling' that is 'internal' and not so much an actual physical difference? I ask because when you write about it, you often talk about how it 'feels' and don't worry so much about what is happening.

Could it be that the 'feeling' is the real difference, and that in both 'athletic' and 'internal' the body is actually responding in the same way?
One could test it out with a couple of bathroom scales and see if by redirecting it to the front foot rather than the rear foot if more force actually goes into the front or rear foot (or try the same without a partner and see if through intent only it is possible to do). I only have one bathroom scale, so I'm not in a position to tell you if that is what actually happens, or if thats what I perceive as actually occurring. I would assume that if you were to see a change in the amount on one foot or the other, it probably would only be a small percentage of your overall weight rather than a huge one. Since I do tend to feel an increase in pressure, in the front foot, I would assume that is what is happening, as that is one way in which I can "float" or get under my partner.

I haven't spent much time with anyone who focuses on stand up grappling a few years, but even when I did we didn't do static push drills. I've never been floated by anyone when I did judo or wrestling (or BJJ), they usually got under just by physically dropping their body closer to the ground.

Quote:
With the new diagram (new Diagram)in the second 'strong alignment' drawing. If the force is actually going into the font leg in that way, wouldn't it require more muscle to hold this position?
Well, first of all wether I'm using structure or a ground path (they aren't the same), I would not want to actively push back. Sure in a push test it doesn't matter, because it is a static drill. In reality, if you push back, the whole if you push i pull dynamic comes in, and you actually make it easier for the other person who is pushing you.. If you are letting it go into the back leg or really anywhere, you don't want to provide any push back in the same direction. That took me years to finally understand what is a really simple idea. You simply don't push back, you have to abandon any feeling of being "strong" or "Stable" and you result in feeling stronger to the person pushing you. This is something completely counter-intuitive to most training I've encountered in martial arts or sports.

Now with that in mind, you really don't use much of any muscular effort other than what is required to hold yourself up or to redirect the force (it shouldn't take that much since you are using intent). You should not be straining against that incoming force at all so there should be really no additional muscular effort. If you get moved it doesn't matter, these drills are not really about how much force you can take. Its more important that if you get moved, you don't loose your balance, such as finding that you pop up on your heels or try and push back.

That misunderstanding is a common one I think, and leads to developing something other than "aiki". I think the perception may be that it is about as much as you can take due to demos. For development purposes, its really better to give a light static push rather than trying to wait until your partner fails at "resisting".

Quote:
In the original red line force input, the skeleton is taking force (that's why there needs to be an alignment). This allows the muscles work less. In the new blue line, the muscles must do all the work to keep from being pushed over, and it seems to me that this would require more muscular strength and endurance. Do you agree or disagree?
I would disagree. I don't feel like I am utilizing any more effort one way or the other. Hopefully, I was able to make it clear that whether you put it in the rear foot, or put it in the front, you aren't pushing against the incoming force or resisting it in any way.. You are not, for example, trying to push the front leg into the ground by extending the front leg to try and redirect the force upwards. There are muscles you can use to add to the push in the same direction as the push, but thats a topic for much later. One which we can't really explore yet, although I did talk a little about it in one of the other threads.