View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 03:13 AM   #23
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Re: George Ledyard on the Future of Aikido

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
I meant that figuratively, Paul. Imagine a young teacher sent to preside over a band of American instructors whose skills so far outshone his that he knew he was outclassed. And that he wanted the skills his "students" had? Could get a little messy.

It will be interesting to see what turns out, 10 years down the 'pike.
That's assuming that these sent instructors are all naive newbies. They're already training in such an environment in Japan right now, there's nothing to indicate that anyone sent is going to turn up and make things messy.

There's a lot of assumptions in this thread. I'm under the impression that most of the associations in the US, here in the UK, and other western countries are individual associations that have been set up external to the Aikikai, but have at some point joined the aikikai umbrella. As it stands right now the Aikikai doesn't have the authority to impose any instructors into these organisations - please correct me if I'm wrong.

However, the Aikikai could, if it felt it warranted, send new instructors to set up new organisations. Students would then be at liberty to choose which organisation they want to join/ stay with.

There may be some associations that would be all too willing to have the Aikikai send in an instructor to take over the helm. Again it's an assumption.

What I'm trying to say, very badly, is that I don't think this is a problem any where near as bad as people are making it out to be. Old instructors retire/ pass on, new instructors take their place. Associations change, old links are cut, new links are formed. It's been going on for many years, and will continue.

I'm free to choose who and where I want to practice Aikido with, as long as I continue to practice.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"