View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #147
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: philosophical or practical martial art?

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to Mark for taking the time to answer me in such detail. I have a few more questions, but not much time to frame them well, so I'll try to formulate them offline and see if I can manage enough organization to add to the discussion properly.

Quote:
Graham wrote:
I would say it's the sensible thing to do and would go further by saying the philosophy is senior in importance to the action or thing. Those who follow only image are thus not too sensible.

Just think of politics, do you follow the image? In fact think of anything. If your not doing both then you cannot learn but can only copy.

Thus I say they are interdependent.
Hi Graham, for the bulk of my short life so far I would've agreed hands down with the idea that philosophy is of higher importance than action. Now I see the two as two sides of the same mindfulness coin and am beginning to lean more in favor of action...but I've been a thinker and not much of a doer for a long time now, so I'm definately finding my bias swinging in the opposite direction from where it started. I think more to the point, I agree they are interdependant, and one without the other is asking for trouble.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!