View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 03:34 PM   #80
Michael Neal
Re: So I took a Judo class today...

Quote:
So does Aikido, Jujutsu and a few other arts - what's your point?
Larry you said Judo was useless for self defense because they fight on the ground, my response was that Judo's strategy is not to drag someone to the ground to roll around with them. Even Judo competition rules stress strong throws over newaza. This is why I like it better than BJJ because I would prefer to remain standing if possible. Not every situation is a multiple attacker one and even then it is good to know newaza.

Quote:
Now that I think about it though, Red may have a point regarding those Judoka who train only for competition and as a result may lack training in ma ai, timing, entering and setting up good tsukuri against a good striking attack if all they train from is the typical shiai grip positions
Judoka that train only for competition are at much less of a disadvantage than those martial artists who do no competition or hard randori on a regular basis. Competition is perfect for developing all of those things you described, timing, distance, entering etc. I am not sure you have experienced much Judo if you can't see that. Have you ever done randori against a strong grip fighter? Their grips are more like realistic strikes than you see in many Aikido classes.