View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 10:46 PM   #7
"Confused and Frustrated"
IP Hash: f6986714
Anonymous User
Re: Attitude problems at Dojo.

I have read the thoughtful and interesting responses I have gotten so far and all of them have merit and their own point.

When I was thinking about this today and at the dojo tonight I came to a couple observations.

First, one of my perceived training problems in aikido is the tendency of aikidoka to be too polite, or at least to try to "blend" so much in our training that we don't speak up when things are not happening the right way.

Second, when we talk about ego and its undesirablility in training, I don't think O-Sensei meant that we should be passive as we go through life.

Third, ego is different than confidence, and confidence is good and should be encouraged.

With these factors in mind, and the acceptance that different dojos do different things and have different customs I have decided that I will, (as a reply mentioned, there must be something I like about the training there) continue to attend the "problem" dojo but in doing that I will make an effort to control the inputs made into my training. Aikido is a personal experience and although I accept that a few of these senior students may be trying to help, I do not have to accept their constant tutelage if I feel that it is hindering my training. This decision and its implementation will hopefully come from my self confidence and not my ego, but I don't quite know at this point in my life. What do you all think about this plan?
did I mention that the main problem student is the same age as my Mom? Regardless, in reality, you certainly cannot like all people no matter how accepting one is. I may have just found one of those people.

FYI: only a few senior students co-teach, the rest usually keep quiet, so this is, in some aspects, not the modus operandi of the dojo.