View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Chain whip

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
Just be ready to get a few major bruises while learning how to do a few things. I got a HUGE bruise on my leg once learning a new way to change directions using the elbow of my arm. It hurt, but I got over it.
I've heard of injuries to the teeth, as well. That spike on the end can come on around after you think you've stopped the chain...

I've only worked briefly with an actual 9-section whip but always thought it was one of the most interesting of Chinese weapons. And so I've experimented a lot with chains of various sizes that I've found. I have a big heavy one in a tool box that I sometimes haul out and work with. Got everything I know from a movie called variously Five Shaolin Masters, maybe Five Masters of Death...some really interesting whip techniques in there.

On the whole, though, watching the modern wushu forms I find only moderately interesting.

I think the actual 9-section whip is impractical as an actual weapon, though imminently effective as a theoretical weapon. However, most of that theory can be actualized if you use an ordinary chain. I mean, it looks rather premeditated when you have an actual 9-section whip and use it in some kind of confrontation. But if you happened to have a chain lying around and you picked it up to defend yourself against maybe a baseball bat or maybe a rake, hoe or pick...

The chain has enormous potential and it can be lots of fun to work with if you watch what you're doing. Otherwise, you can get some teeth knocked out.

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
I know there are youtube video's out there though. Best of luck!
Gotta look those up.

Best to y'all.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com