View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #77
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: Aiki-Ken vs reality

Having been embarrassed regularly by aikiken and other sword arts, I agree with Ledyard Sensei about his comment on the simplicity of sword play. Cut your opponent first...

I would separate swordplay from aikiken using an analogy of an athelete. For example, a spectacular baseball slugger may be a poor hitting coach because while the slugger unquestionably possesses the ability to hit a baseball, he may lack the ability to effectively communicate that learned skill to another player. In the same sense, a great swordsman who cannot effectively communicate her skill to another swordsman cannot maintain an art.

I think aikiken is an instructional endeavor moreso than a killing art, which may be the key difference. I don't think either are obsolete and I regularly derive excellent training from sword work.

As a side comment - many aikido people learn aikiken because it is required for a black belt and they do not look further into it. These people should not be the source of our discussion about the effectiveness of aikiken. I have never felt like "wacking sticks" when I have worked out with people who know what the %#$^ they are doing with aikiken.