View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004, 01:42 AM   #32
James Giles
Dojo: North Florida Aikikai
United_States
To some of you that work out with weights as a supplement to your Aikido training, what specific exercises do you focus on? Squats? Bench press? Curls?

Also, is it better to work out with lighter weights and more repetitions are heavier weights and less repetitions?

I used to be a heavy cigarette smoker and I worked construction. I was slim, but I was flexible and fairly strong. When I quit smoking, I started lifting weights. I chose heavier weights and less repetitions in my workouts. Within a year I bulked up like a gorilla and became a lot stronger, but lost a lot of flexibility.

When I started taking Aikido about six months ago, I tried to rely on my strength for the techniques I was learning. Since then, I have quit lifting weights and I have trimmed down a little bit. I have also regained my flexibility and my techniques have improved with my reduced size.

I know that this may just be a result of more practice, and I am still interested in being strong, I just don't want to be bulky and stiff.

So will working out with light weights and more reps give me strength without bulking up? And if so, can some of you out there give me some suggestions for the types of exercises to do during weight training that will help with Aikido? Thanks, James