View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #13
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Re: Shouts for Sub-Teens

Quote:
Thomas Donelson wrote: View Post
There is a time to back down, but there is little practice needed for backing down. Practice on Aikdo techniqes may be helpful for a youngster to stand ground.

Shouts, or words for Dialoge can also be practiced, for self convidence, catharsis for an abuser or attacker, and management of wintesses. If you call attantion to the attacker or abuser's offensive behavior, then witnesses may better remember that the victim's actions were purely defensive.

The 8 steps for Suzette Elgin, "You Can't Say that to Me" book involes dealing with ending the habit and rewards that bullies and abusers receive. The rewards may be a combination of angry attention, argument, constrnation of the victim, even if silence is maintianed, agitation can be detected by the bully. a measured response avoid rewarding with emotial turmoil for the victim.

For myself, I think it is suffice to say I teach 17 aikido classes a week in high schools, middle schools and private schools where I have established dojos on campus.

Obviously there's a lot of need out there and we can always use more support in the cause, so thanks and keep up the good work/study.

Here's a link to one of my programs.
http://www.santacruz.k12.ca.us/alt_e...dspirit07.html

And thanks for the book recommendation.

Jen

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems