View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #32
MM
United_States
Re: Just how real is violence? And where does Aikido stands in all of this?

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
Yes, if someone slaps a "conservative as hell" label on a person's point of view as an excuse for immediate dismissal of the point of view and the person, it is trolling, it is just as prejudicial and inflammatory as Scott's post. Stating an opinion is fine and dandy. Trying to prop up an opinion with political name calling is not as nifty.

If Scott had said "I disagree with Pinker's data" or "I think Mr. Pinker has misinterpreted the information he quotes in his book" without adding in the comments about liberals, we could have a nice, productive discussion. Instead, it has been shown that the foundation of his argument is based on his perception of the author's political stance rather than the work itself. Is it then so very unreasonable to believe that Scott may summarily dismiss my participation in further discussion, since I am generally liberal in my thought? What then would he do when he found out that I am also homosexual? Should I wear a sign that says "AT LEAST I'M WHITE!" so that I can perhaps gain some respect for my opinion about an issue that I believe has very little to do with politics, sexuality, or race?
Oh, I wouldn't go around, blasting out the info that you're white, btw. You'll probably get major retaliation for it. Best to go with the other two because you'll be treated better. I find that there are a ton of things that I am barred/banned/removed from because I'm a white male. Heck, if I go by most commercials, I couldn't find my rear from a hole in the ground and am too stupid to function on my own. Toss in that I'm from West Virginia and wow, I have absolutely no chance at functioning in Society.

So, when someone says, oh just a dumb hick, it's nothing to me. First, there are some dumb hicks. Second, I'm not one of them. Third, it's a stereotype and using it means the person is either generalizing, doesn't understand the culture, or is really referring to one of those dumb hicks. Truth is a hard pill to swallow.

BTW, for those wondering, yes, the family tree in WV does just go straight up.

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
Am I making a reasonable, conservative even, assumption, or am I falling into reductio ad absurdum?

Using externalities to bolster an opinion is poor argumentation no matter who is doing it. Clearly ad hominem, fallacious.
You were until you used "conservative even". Remember, we shouldn't use those labels to bolster an opinion.

Quote:
Gordon Young wrote: View Post
(Liberals as a bad as conservatives in this regard - and in many places both sides seem to be competing to out-do one-another in general nastiness. I can't do much about that in most places, but I hate to see it happen on Aikiweb.)
I think we all agree with that.

Mark