View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #111
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: How Long and In What Manner to Great Mastery?

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Just to be clear, the infamous "Teacher Test" was not a completely 'no movement' test. What I asked was that someone claiming to be a teacher (hence "teacher test") of "internal martial arts" put his hand on my and hit me as hard as he could *without pulling back his hand or his shoulder*. Of course someone who uses his dantien/hara for power instead of his shoulder, etc., as a bona fide teacher should, would have no real problem with this simple demonstration.
Of course.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Ultimately, at higher levels, the ability to generate a lot of force with only a small motion is conforming to the old sayings about "motion approaches stillness", and so on. Although the equation of F=ma is always valid, I'd suggest that the variations of that equation which have to do with Impulse and momentum are worth thinking about, also.
Large mass starts connected mass chain moving. Large mass brakes it s motion against the smaller mass of the chain out of phase (doubling the momentum input (yin+yang)). The momentum cycles to the end of the chain, reducing in radius, and mass, increasing in velocity and therefore impulse, applied to a small target area. Large radial, large mass, cyclic acceleration input -- low radius, low mass, "accelerating" acceleration (impulse) output. Conservation works.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.