View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Ernesto Lemke
Dojo: Seikokan , Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Re: Kiichi Hogen and the Secret of Aikido

Hi Chris, I really think your blogs are setting the stage for some long needed re-examination of established viewpoints. I'd like to go over a couple of points.

In your last paragraph you state:

Quote:
What if Aikido Founder Morihei Ueshiba was an internal martial artist
I'm not sure whether people unfamiliar with "In Yo" get from reading the blog that this is an established aspect of Internal (Martial Arts) Training. Even in case some do, that is not to say all folks view In Yo the same, even within an Internal Martial Arts paradigm. Also since the quotation itself does little to explain how this 2+8/3+7 etc. model actually transfers on the physical (Internal Paradigm) plane.
So, the conclusion that Morihei Ueshiba was an internal martial artist based on his reference to this quotation, I fear, will for the uninitiated remain a gigantic puzzle. Or at least a big leap of faith.

I suspect the same goes for the next part of your concluding question.

Quote:
in a community filled with students researching and developing the same principles
Since your blog is addressed also/mostly(?) to those outside the Aiki/IP/IT/IS etc. paradigm, I'm not sure whether your first three excellent questions....

Quote:
How will that change how we evaluate his writings and training?
How will the established history and methodology of Aikido change when considered through the lens of greater knowledge?
What if the things that Ueshiba did, instead of being very very new, were very very old?
....automatically lead to the suggestion Ueshiba was an Internal Martial Artist. Even though you know I believe he was

fwiw

Ernesto