View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 06:57 PM   #30
JiuJitsuka
Dojo: American Jiu Jitsu Centers
United_States
Re: Can women defend themselves?

"I think that aikido training gives me tools which will help me defend myself if I need to, even though I'm not confident I could produce an actual technique."

Hey Mary. IMHO in the first part of this statement you answered your own question, you just need to remove the "I think" part and replace it with "I know". Thats what its all about, your belief that your aikido training gives you the tools to defend yourself puts you ahead on the street. The other part of this statement is something that you need to work on within yourself. Your confidence, the belief in yourself, is the backbone of your technique. Paige hit it right on the button, you shouldn't be afraid, make fear one of your tools. Accept it and it will help you. Sorry for sounding like a preacher . As for producing an actual technique, let the technique produce itself. You are not the one to determine what technique comes out, the attacker is the one who determines the technique. The one thing you need to remember is to Keep It Simple. This is law in self defense. Use what works. I don't mean to ramble or sound like a know it all, cuz I don't. I just become concerned when gender becomes an issue in self defense. I hope you find clarity.

Live Well,

Brian