View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #76
ken zen ichii
Japan
Re: Tracing my Philippine Aikikai Roots

About Sensei Camar and Aiki Kai.
I met Sensei Camar once in Angeles City, Philippines and He asked me how my father was. He knew my father personally.
I wont say that I know Sensei Camar personally because it did not came to that level yet but I heard many things about Sensei Camar during the early years years of Aikido in the philippines (Late 1950's early1960's) when Tohei Sensei came to the Philippines and also when Tohei Sensei inaugurated the opening of the Angeles Aikido Club (Late 1950's).
When the conflict between Kisshomaru Sensei and Tohei Sensei started, many high ranking aikidoka's broke up with the Aikikai and joined the Ki Society. The Angeles Aikido Club under Sensei Chan Hoc Seng sided with benjamin galarpe and joined the Ki Society but with respect to the Aiki Kai which gave blessings to the Angeles Aikido Club, Chan Hoc Seng closed the school formally. Regarding Sensei Camar, in respect to Tohei Sensei and the Aiki Kai, he decided to be on the neutral side. About His 8th Degree, regardless of whoever gave it, I think the old man is qualified for it.
He is the head of the manila aikido club same thing with the heads of other groups. May I ask if any body knew who gave the grades of the old masters during their time? Did we questioned those grades?
Maybe the problem with Aikido in the philippines is jealousy and way of thinking. Sensei Camar, Sensei Galarpe, Sensei Chan hocseng were all propmoted by the Aiki Kai during the old times. And old martial artist, not only Aiki Do, in the philippines knew that Sensei Camar was the chief instuctor of Aiki Kai when Aiki Do was still very young. Other Aikido groups who claims to be this and that, Do you really know the history of Aiki Do in the Philippines? Did it not even entered your mind if your Sensei regardless who they are really did studied Aiki Do with the Aiki Kai or Ki Society or Yoshin Kan or maybe they just learned their moves via book or steven seagal movies? Try to understand your roots before you question somebody else's position. The path teaches Us to learn how to respect not to insult. Sorry to say but sometimes, affiliations can be requested from the Organizations if you pay the registration fee and certificates can be bought on the streets of Avenida. So to you Ritchie Martinez, believe in your Sensei, because of Him you are what you are now. If other groups try to question you again, just ignore them, raise your head up and say OMAR CAMAR is my Sensei. Thats all you'll need.