View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 09:18 PM   #28
NagaBaba

Re: How many practice Rokkyo?

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I'm not so sure...I've had people throw me with my elbow not completely straight in hiji shime, but the lock went through to the shoulder anyway, and I had to take the ukemi. And it was someone smaller than I am who did it. When I attack yokomenuchi my arm is in kamae position...not completely straight...but when my teacher does hiji shime he doesn't have to twist or torque the arm; he breaks my balance, I float for a second, and the lock is on. I also know people who have defended themselves from attacks using this technique.

So I see it used in newaza, standup attacks, and dojo situations. Doesn't seem so magical to me...not to mention that if I apply it standing and the elbow doesn't lock out, I just remove my feet from the ground and WALA! we have a reclining pin! Ok, and maybe uke has a hyperextended elbow...but what the hey...you can't have everything...

Ron
You know, Ron, teachers are half-gods and can do a lot of Magic but we, mortals, we must de real things to make it work
from my experience, if attacker is "alive", knows how to attack, make counters and is stronger, you will never got him in hiji shime. If attacker is "throwing doll" everything becomes possible

Ideally in hiji shime one must lock 3 joints simultaneously and use it to maintain off balance, to be able handle stronger and more experienced attacker. It happened to me too, to lock only shoulder, but attacker was less experienced and didn't counter very much.

In generally, I prefer techniques applied on bended joints like kotegaeshi, ikkyo or nikkyo, cos attacker tends to rather bend body(and joints) to protect himself from any technique.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo