View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #238
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Is two Days a week enough?

I wanted to thank everyone for this thread. There are too many times when content is lacking or vituperation seems to predominate on forums like this. I think this exchange represents what is best about AikiWeb. There was a lot of divergent opinion on a subject that people clearly care a lot about. I think that everyone got to see the issue from a perspective that was different than his own. And for the most part, everyone stayed fairly calm and civilized, especially given the amount of investment people have on this topic in particular.

As is usually the case, far more people read these posts than posted themselves. I had a number of e-mails and PM's from various teachers of Aikido who reflected my concerns about its survival in a time when the predominant training paradigm is so different from what we perceive as necessary to be competent. One teacher pointed out to me that Chiba Sensei in his Birankai does actually require his instructors to re-certify periodically, which I think should be universally adopted.

Anyway, I think this was a very good exchange reflecting the views of a number of different groups within the Aikido community. Maybe no one changes anything about how they do thins or even changes his thinking, but at least people understand each others outlook better. That's how the forums should work.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com