Old 09-24-2010, 05:56 AM   #10
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Aikido & back surgery

Hi
Quote:
Kris Moralee wrote: View Post
To answer the question, any dojo should be able to take in to account the physical ability of any student.
True.

Quote:
You can learn the motions but do not have to be thrown out of any technique if you can't manage this.
True.

Quote:
You should also have no restrictions on learning any technique that you can't breakfall from.
I am not sure whether I get this right:
Do you mean it should be possible to learn the part of tori in a technique like e.g. koshi nage even if you are not able to do the uke part?
Sure. In theory this is true.

But I experienced it to be very very difficult to get the feeling of a waza, when not being able to ukemi. I myself didn't even teach certain techniques while I was injured and couldn't do proper ukemi.

Quote:
If you find yourself in a dojo where they insist that you must be slammed from any technique is just plain wrong.
True.

Quote:
What you have to bear in mind also is that a breakfall is really just an exagerated forward roll at speed
No.
You can work most techniques to backward rolls, forward rolls and breakfalls.
But in doing so the way of doing the technique has to change. And the way of ukemi changes. The difference of backward and forward rolls is obvious. But there is also a difference between forward rolls and breakfalls.

Quote:
so yes, you can forward roll from any technique, it just depends on the speed of the application.
No.
As I said before:
It is not at all question of speed whether you have to fall or you can simply roll away. It depends on how tori works a certain technique:
You can lead uke to a backward roll in kote gaeshi, you can make him roll forward. And you can make him doing a breakfall. Same in tenchi nage or irimin nage eg.
And there are techniques where there is no real way of rolling forward, but tori decides whether he lets uke do backward rolls or forward breakfalls like in shiho nage. It depends on how nage works a certain technique.

Quote:
Shakou....Sometimes a simple answer is all that is required
I think the answer is not at all so simple.

I most techniques are created / designed to throw your partner in a way he has to do a breakfall. This is the nature of most nage waza. Even considering techniques like kaiten
nage. If they are done properly on a certain level uke will have to do a breakfall.

True: You can practice every technique in a way which helps uke to come down smoothly. But this is not what leads to the aims of aikido.

Conclusion:
I think it is possible to do aikido without breakfalls when have reached a certain level.
But I don't think it's usefull to start with aikido if know you won't be able to do breakfalls. You are limited too much.