View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #112
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Dan, Mike, and Aikido

Craig:

I was one of Imaizumi Sensei's "crash-test dummies" and worked hard to get him to participate in the expo. Stanley gave him permission to do what ever he wanted to do. It is not that Imaizumi Sensei does not share his knowledge of the "internal stuff" it is simply in the manner that he does so that is difficult for people to "get." He is a very private/quiet man who allows his application of waza to demonstrate and teach what he knows. He teaches the "internal stuff" through his teachings of waza. Out of respect for Ki Society, his direct curriculum of "ki exercises" is now taught under the rubric of "Genkido." His emphasis on this foundation was clearly noted when he said at the public dinner that the emphasis should be on senior instructors teaching beginners. By the same token, he has always been open to my exploring aspects of other instructors (regardless of the art), and viewed it as a good thing that I took time out to work with the Systema people. He does not have the ego problem that results in a message being sent out that you should not venture out of "his circle." He is very careful to say that he teaches what has been taught to him (as opposed to what he knows) and expects his students to be open to learning and sharing.

Dan:

It is my understanding that senior instructors (not O'Sensei's son) were responsible for codifying waza. I also think that some of O' Sensei's later students were able to both project the uke away from an attack and also bring them in to control them. Imaizumi Sensei demonstrates both. My own personal preference is to keep the person within with space to control them on the way down, and when they are down. As an old wrestler, I know full well that the person going down is still a real threat. In my own training, I am working hard at what Ushiro Sensei talked to me about in regards to receiving technique in a manner that allows me to find openings to attack.

Hope everybody had a safe and not too intoxicated St. Pat.'s Day.

Marc Abrams