View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 09:59 AM   #35
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Highest Level Martial Arts and Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
when diverting your intentions to "other things" becomes an excuse because it is "too hard" or you are not "patient" enough to learn the internal aspects of an art (KI and Kokyu, as you define it), then you are missing the point.
Kevin, I realize that you are not saying this, but I think it is important to note that everyone who diverts their intention is not necessarily doing so as an excuse. I have to investigate complex (multi-faceted) problems all of the time, and I find that I need to approach thongs from different directions. I find that some others who only approach discovery from a single approach get a perspective that comes from the blinders they were wearing to try to solve the problem. They basically create their own new problems that are really hard to see from within. It tends to lead to the unfortunate situation where one assumes the conclusion and then proceeds to conclude the assumption. I have to trust in the perspective of people I feel have already solved some of these problems with how to approach developing ki and kokyu. If they say there is a time to focus on other things more directly - I trust they have a good reason. If several of them say so, my trust increases.

I don't think anyone would disagree with the idea that it would be great to get to the level Mike describes as the highest level (assuming he meant and being able to do those kinds of things under the pressure of multiple attack). I think the only question is the approach, and the value judgments made on people approaching that mountain top from a different path. Unless there is a case where everyone who is on path 1 succeeds and everyone who is on path 2 fails, who is anyone to judge?

Rob