View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
chunie
Dojo: Sho Shin Aikido Dojo
Netherlands
Re: banging bokken on my head

Ron,

It's not my pinky slipping off Let me clarify.
When holding a bokken and I go for yokomen, the pinky of my right hand wants to create room so that bokken goes smoothly over my right side. The creating of room is where the problem is, I got corrected by a visitting sensei, which is fine with me, but I have trouble holding the bokken with my pinkies when doing yokomen. It gets even harder when I do a yokomen with a jo, but maybe I'll post that in an other thread to not mix up topics

I do hold my bokken strongest with my pinkies and I turn my wrists in over my weapon like wringing out a towel (sensei tells me to hold bokken and jo with pinkies as if weapons are eggs about to hatch, firmly but no squeezing and with feeling ), it's just that the front pinky wants to loosen up when going for yokomen. So I was wondering is this normal and do you overcome this through practice or am I grinding in the wrong technique? You did mention over flexing the wrists, maybe you want to clarify in which way I might over flex my wrists?

Ragarding mune-on-my-head, I was just wondering if we all did that in our early stages of aikido. I have only seen once at my dojo that someone was rubbing her forehead after swinging to and from shomen, but maybe that says more about our dojo than the bokken waza

Thx,
Chuntug