Thread: Jo Dori Clip
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #57
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Jo Dori Clip

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Hello Joe,
I think all depends how you set the expectations. I'll give you few examples:

When I was young and beautiful(in the middle ages), video was expensive to produce. About 3th kyu I saw myself very first time on video, and I went into the deep depression - I saw so many errors, I couldn't believe it can be true. After that, I promised myself - no more video.

One of my first teachers even didn't remarked my existence first 8 years of my practice. First time he began to talk to me it was after my shodan test.

So when my teacher is pointing my errors I'm very happy - it means he still has a hope I can learn something.This is the best encouragement.
Dear Naga Baba,
As a teacher one must try and balance criticism to a student
i.m.o. I personally am inclined to focus on the positive aspects of a student rather than negative aspects.While I am not a school teacher or a trained educationalist I would suggest to you that
most people will respond to encouragement rather than if the instructor keeps saying 'this/that is incorrect'.I find it strange that you did not speak or communicate with one of your instructors for the first 8 years.Was it a case that both of you did not have anything to say to each other? Your example is not what I would call a good student /teacher relationship, which I consider to be an important element in the transmission of aikido from teacher to student.Still if the apparent lack of dialogue between him /you suited you , fine.
Cheers, Joe.